Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Boat Search 2 of ......


Another day, another boat to look at.  This time I went and looked at a 1972 27' O'Day that was listed at $6500.   A very clean and obviously well maintained boat.   The Volvo Diesel started instantly, and the reassuring womp, womp of the engine told me she was working.

The owner, a very friendly ex-marine, was more then happy to share with me all of the maintenance he'd been doing on the boat.   He actually found out the boat was for sale when I called.  His wife has been busy trying to sell off his toys.   Hmmm, maybe this single life isn't such a bad thing after all :)  But he agrees actually they need to sell it.  He lives in a houseboat next to it with his wife, in this very nice and quiet marina (Pasadena Marina).  There seems to be a very friendly liveaboard community of about 20 people here.  May be an option for me.




Another nice thing about the boat is that I can stand upright in it (6'2").  Of course I have to stand with my legs apart a little bit, so maybe closer to 6'0" but still it's no hunching over in it.  An electric stove, an icebox, and a nicely maintained interior.  It has a good main sail, but no jib.  So there is something I would need to get.   But once I do there is a roller furling, and traveller, so that's nice.  It should be a boat I can sail single handed.  Even as green as I am.

Hmm - boats, boats, and more boats.  The search continues!



4 comments:

  1. Encouraging to see you're making progress on moving aboard, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been taking a little bit to get settled, but full steam (or is that sail? :) ) ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I just came across your blog while searching for parts when I noticed something familiar about this boat.

    I actually just purchased this boat a few weeks ago. She is a nice boat and I am glad she found her way to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We read your blog website, share most practical information in blog. Budget Liveaboard Red Sea

    ReplyDelete