Friday, July 1, 2011

And it starts - class and books

So I've officially registered for a little 2-day class here in the Cincinnati area (wait - there's sailing available near Cincinnati - crazy!).  1st day is in the class room, and the 2nd day is on the water.   That's in a couple weeks, so either my desire will be strengthened, or there will be some embarrassing post later on here about  how sailing isn't for me (maybe just a nice houseboat somewhere ;) ).  I doubt it but stranger things have happened I'm sure. So I decided to pick up a couple books as well to really stir the excitement a bit.




Yep - it's true, the man has no shame - Sailing For Dummies. At least overconfidence won't be a problem.  The other book, Sailing the Dream, just looked interesting.  We'll see how the reading goes. I imagine my easily-impressionable mind will be fascinated by the tales of a couple selling everything and going sailing.  Sounds like the path I may be on.  Well, except for the 2 people together thing - I really do need to get that Sugar-Momma search going full strength!

Well that's it for today.  Everybody out there enjoying their 4th of July weekend, or Canada Day weekend (I think that's right - ignorant American I am), or just out there enjoying sailing - have a safe and glorious weekend!

 I'll leave you with a quote near the beginning of the Sailing for Dummies book that I like.

It is an interesting biological fact that all of us have, in our veins, the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears.  We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it - we are going back from whence we came.
                                                                             - John F. Kennedy

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Zanziba here of YBW.

    Buy Alison Noice - Complete Yachtmaster. Stunning book and well worth the money.

    As you will know from my "clock ticking thread" we have a lot in common. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the start of living your dream!

    I stumbled on your page through facebook and wanted to let you know that "Sailing the Dream" is THE book that launched our dream to life about three years ago. I hope it's as inspiring to you as it was for us.

    If we can be of any help as you continue preparations, let us know.

    Best,
    Christie and Matt of s/v Kaleo
    www.svKaleo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zanziba - it's good to meet a fellow dreamer - although it sounds like you are much closer. I don't have a date to get onboard yet! That is a great thread you have going by the way - good info on it.

    Christie&Matt - So far the book has done nothing, but make me more enthused about the change I want to make! Thanks for the offer of assistance - as a novice, I'm sure I'll have a question or two for you as I go along!

    ReplyDelete